Monday, March 22, 2010

Evolution: Divergence, Parallelism, and Convergence

We are covering evolution, so I decided to dig out my Antrhopology notes from last semester and create some diagrams to portray the differences between divergence, parallelism, and convergence. Click on the pictures for full size!

Divergence
Related species that evolve differently as they adapt to different environments.

Parallelism
Relates species that evolve similarly as they adapt to similar environments.

Convergence
Unrelated species that evolve similarly as they adapt to similar environments.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you! I am a 45 year old biological anthropology student and this page has helped me understand these three forms better than anything I have read!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad they helped you!! Good luck with your studies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evolution is materialistic story telling. Biology is based on information (DNA letters in just the right order) and immaterial.

    ReplyDelete