Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Food, Inc.

Old MacDonald had a farm,
Ee i ee i oh!
And on that farm he had some genetically modified chickens,
Ee i ee i oh!

Today during Lab we watched the movie Food, Inc. I really liked it, it made me feel glad that I'm a vegetarian, but it still left me a bit very freaked out. It portrayed companies as evil corporations who only care about profit and not about the health of it's consumers.

One of the many things that made me feel a bit sick were the chicken scenes. I felt disgusted when they showed the difference between a genetically modified chicken and a normal chicken. The birds were given antibiotics and couldn't even move and sat in their own feces for their entire 45-day-life. How about some KFC for lunch?! :]

It also showed how the food industry affected low income families. They work a lot and it's easier and cheaper to eat fast food than go to the supermarket, buy whole foods, go home and cook them. This same issue also leads to obesity and diabetes. Why would a family buy vegetables and cook a nice meal, when they can get a burger for a $1? Instant gratification.

Commodity crops: corn, wheat, and corn, where also mentioned in this film. They are in almost everything.

I enjoyed this eye-opening film, and I wish everyone could have chance to watch it. Maybe it wont make people become vegan or vegetarian or organic eaters, but it will definately make them aware and they'll see the story behind their dinner.


http://www.foodincmovie.com/img/downloads/Press_Materials.pdf

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to see this documentary! in one of my lab classes we had to watch a doc. called King Corn, it's another really good one about the meat we eat! Yay for us Vegetarians!

    ReplyDelete