Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Low Iron in Vegetarians: Lentils

Two years ago, when I decided I wanted to become a vegetarian, my mother's main concern was how I would make up for the nutrients I would miss out from animals. I'm not a picky eater, so maintaining a well balanced diet is not hard for me at all: I love all kinds of vegetables, fruits, and legumes.
One of my favorite legumes are lentils. These legumes are insanely high in proteins, including the essential amino acids isoleucine and lysine. Lentils are deficient in two essential amino acids, methionine and cystine, however, sprouted lentils contain sufficient levels of all essential amino acids, including methionine and cystine.
Lentils are actually one of the best vegetable sources of iron. This makes them an important part of a vegetarian diet, and useful for preventing iron deficiency.

And yet another great thing about this legume is that it's cheap, so it is a relatively good substitute for those who can't afford meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment