Sunday, April 4, 2010

Berry Confusing: Bananas and Strawberries

Think of a berry, quick!!








Did this pop into your head?


Wrong! Strawberries are actually not berries. By technical definition, a berry is a fleshy fruit produced from a single seed. The strawberry, however has its dry, yellow "seeds" on the outside (each of which is actually considered a separate fruit). True berries, such as blueberries and cranberries have seeds inside.

Now, here's a picture of a true berry:What?... A banana? Yes! The banana fruit is a berry for the same reason strawberries are not.

2 comments:

  1. Loving this post!:D I knew about the strawberry and banana, but I like who you wrote this post.:D

    Will be following you now, follow my blog too?:D


    http://allthingsmarie.blogspot.com
    BEAUTY. FASHION. DESIGN.
    ...and everything girly under the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. This is amazing.

    I loved biology in high school. Such a fun blog, have become a follower, would love for you to follow my blog too.
    xx
    DD
    http://darlingdeedee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete